Our judges will be taking the following criteria into consideration in making their selections:
- Quality of Plot/Story: Is the play conceptually or thematically interesting and well conceived? Does it start and end strong? Does it sustain in the middle?
- Quality of Characters: All of the characters should be interesting and give actors plenty of “meat” to sink their teeth into — no unnecessary or underdeveloped characters.
- Strength of the Dialogue: It’s important that the action is clear and purposeful and helps drive the story in a naturalistic way, even if the play is conceptual.
- Strength of the Action: It’s important that the action is clear and purposeful and helps drive the story.
- Tone and Effect: Is the tone consistent and appropriate? If it’s a comedy, are there genuine laughs? If it is a drama, does it have emotional impact?
Plays will be judged anonymously. Please submit your play with just the title and no author identification on the title page. Submit your contact information in a separate document — include the title of your play, your name, your state of residence, phone number, and email address. Winners will be notified via email and posted on the NAPS website.